Today, I’m sharing some tips and great products for showing your eye area some TLC.
Inexpensively lift the face and reduce the signs of aging.
Be proactive and prevent problems by adding these helpful tips to your routine for skin care.
- Acne breakouts—Make sure to blot sweat frequently. Sweat build up clogs pores. Wash headbands, bras and other occlusive clothing to avoid dirt buildup. Make sure your makeup/sunscreen is non comedogenic and oil free. If you wear a mask, don’t wear makeup under the mask.
- Dry skin—Shower and shampoo after getting out of the pool. Use extra conditioner for your hair. Use sunscreen, and use it often, as a burn will take you all summer to recover. Make sure your soap is mild, and always apply moisturizer immediately after showering. Remember that excessive air conditioning is drying to your skin.
- Folliculitis—Change out of sweaty clothes as soon as possible. Loose clothes don’t block your pores as much. Avoid hot tubs as they can contain a kind of bacteria called Pseudomonas.
- Nail salons—Not all nail salons are created equal. Choose a salon that is meticulous about cleaning. Some salons keep separate tools for each client. Never shave right before an appointment, as small cracks in the skin can be an entry point for bacteria.
- Sun allergy—Check your medicines before getting in the sun. Certain medicines such as tetracycline can make you more likely to sunburn. When in doubt, check with your dermatologist.
3 common misconceptions about sunscreen.
1) I don’t need sunscreen when it’s cool outside. This is absolutely wrong. May is the month I see the most sunburns, and the reason is because you don’t think about sunscreen if it’s not hot.
2) I don’t need sunscreen if I’m in the shade. Actually, you are still getting about 90% of the normal UV rays.
3) I applied my sunscreen before I left home, so I’m good for the afternoon. If you’re sweating or in the water, sunscreen is gone in 60 to 90 minutes.
For more good sunscreen advice, talk to your dermatologist.
What is Restylane Kysse for?
Restylane Kysse is injected into the lips and the lines around the upper lip to temporarily add fullness to the lips and help smooth the wrinkles around the upper lip (perioral lines) in patients over the age of 21.
How is Restylane Kysse used?
Restylane Kysse is injected with an ultrafine needle into your lips to add fullness. It can also be injected into the skin above your lips to help smooth the wrinkles around your upper lip (perioral lines).
$50 off Kysse when combined with 30+ units of Dysport. While rebates last.
When is the best time to get filler and/or Botox?
Hopefully, we will all be getting out more soon, and birthdays, weddings, parties and celebrations will happen again. So, how should you time your cosmetic regimen?
Botox lasts for approximately three months. It can take up to 7 days to take effect. and may have some bruising. So, consider having the procedure done 2 to 3 weeks before a big event. That also gives you time to correct for any uneven or asymmetric results as well.
Dermal fillers, such as Juvederm, should also be done a good 2 weeks before a big event event. Fillers last for 1 to 2 years, but are more likely to have associated bruising or swelling.
So plan ahead and get ready for summer!
If you are thinking about a new skin care program, you need to consider how to maximize the benefit of your new products. Our new ZO line has just the solution.
1) Start with a good cleanser. Their exfoliating cleanser is great for oily skin, even if it’s acne prone. For most of the rest of us I recommend their gentle cleanser.
2) Exfoliating gets rid of dead skin that blocks the absorption of products. ZO Exfoliating Polish is the perfect answer for that. I use mine 2 to 3 times a week.
3) Finally, everybody needs a toner, and the ZO complexion renewal pads really clean out the pores and get rid of makeup residue.
Take home message: clean and prepare your skin properly before using your other products for optimal results.
Since everyone is sheltering at home and staying healthy, this can be a good time to start a new beauty routine. Here are a few suggestions to fit any budget.
1) Less than $50
You can still have the essentials. Neutrogena ultra sheer sunscreen—about $12 on Amazon and prescription Retin-A—about $30 with a GoodRx card.
2) Less than $150
a) Sunscreen and Retin-A as above
b) Vita CE (our own Ark-La-Tex Dermatology brand) $75
3) Less than $260 or $230
a) Sunscreen and Retin-A
b) ZO anti-aging kit $213 or ZO pigment control kit $182
All of our skin care products are currently 20% off, and we can mail all but prescription products through our online store. You can also schedule a free telemedicine consultation to discuss what products would be right for you. Call (318) 212-3440. Let me know you heard about it on my blog!
Please take care of yourself and stay healthy.
Josie Futrell, MD
We take your health seriously. We are not seeing patients who are ill or have symptoms of coronavirus. If you are sick or concerned you have the virus, contact your PCP. We are taking extensive precautions with sanitization/hand washing, and are open for existing & new patients. Here, I discuss the various products available (such as “Newtox”) for treating wrinkles.